Publicis Sapient's Salesforce Practice (previously Sapient i7 before acquisition) is a global platinum Salesforce consulting partner. Consultants with a strong industry focus lead their project engagements leveraging a mix of onshore and offshore resources.
Prior to their acquisition in January 2020, Sapient i7 has been targeting their hires amongst professional with a rich variety of industry backgrounds. Their market-specific skills became broader, but some challenges due to the fragmentation of technical skills emerged:
- Standardisation. How to standardise the quality of their solutions across their delivery portfolio, while minimising the overhead on the delivery teams?
- Time-to-value. How to build a code analysis toolkit that is replicable quickly and cost-effectively across all projects?
- Delivery risk. How to completely prevent escalations due to quality or security issues?
Sapient i7 chose Clayton as their core code analysis solution. Used in conjunction with Bitbucket and Bitbucket pipelines, Clayton is at part of the core toolkit that Publicis Sapient uses across all their project delivery.
- At kick-off, Publicis Sapient's team creates a git repository that constitutes the source of truth for all metadata and customisations throughout the project lifecycle.
- The team then manages coding standards centrally with Clayton: every project inherits a common baseline of automated checks, that project teams can override to suit customer-specific requirements such as naming conventions or other preferences.
- Developers and app builders collaborate on the same repository using the so-called Git Feature Branch Workflow. When a change is ready, developers create a pull request that triggers an automated code review. Clayton reports any quality or security problems directly on the affected lines of code and prevents the pull request from being merged until it gets fixed.
- When the pull request is merged, downstream automation takes care of executing all automated tests and deploying the code to the various testing and production environments.